Sunday, January 22, 2006

Exploring

So I went out with my friend Emily last night. We didn't really have a specific plan in mind, just that we didn't want to pay 14 euro for drinks. We wandered up and down the Champs-Elysée and then a little ways away from it in the hopes of finding something cheaper.

Bingo!

Not even two minutes away from the Champs-Elysée we stumbled across the CUTEST little café/restaurant/bar. Awesome prices. I got a pina colada for 6.50! For those of you playing the home game, you can expect to pay 8 at a regular bar and between 10 and 15 at a place on the Champs-Elysée. They also had a full menu that looked yummy and was also pretty cheap. I think we found a place to frequent. I always wanted to be a regular somewhere, didn't you? Sure beats aimless wandering.
The only problem with this place is that they definitely closed at 10:30 or so. And that was on a Saturday night. So I guess it doesn't count as a real bar, but maybe if we were looking for a place on a weeknight and we didn't want to stay out too late...it would be perfect. We finally decided to leave when they started stacking up the chairs around us.

We got a LOT of catcalls last night, it was pretty bizarre. They all happened after we met up with Sarah ("Your friend! She is so tall!") so that probably had something to do with it. When we were walking on the Champs-Elysée this guy literally jumped right in front of us and started speaking Spanish to us. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain he wasn't even Spanish. Weird. Other than that, it was just stuff the people said when we were walking by that I definitely would've been oblivious to a few months ago (chou-chou, jolie jolie, that sort of thing). It really pisses me off that they don't understand the concept of sexual harrassment in France. Actually, pretty much anywhere in Europe. I mean yes, I think we take it a little too far in terms of being PC in America, but I really hated being blatantly stared at and chatted up by weird sketchy drunk guys. It's really a pain.

Let me give you an example of how that scenario usually goes. Let's say I'm waiting for a cab or the nightbus or something like that it's pretty late at night. I am always sober and I am always surrounded by drunk guys that think a cab stand is the perfect place to meet girls. In this scenario, the guy won't leave me alone. Can't ignore him, he keeps talking to me and won't go away, so I decide to lie through my teeth just to stop him from getting pissed off. Keep in mind this whole exchange is happening in French.

Sketchy Drunk Guy (SDG): You're really pretty. *hiccup* What's your name?
Me: Allison
SDG: Allison...(swaying slightly) are you from Russia? [note: I am not making this up. They ALWAYS ask me if I'm Russian]
Me: No. *looking at my watch like my boyfriend will be arriving any minute*
SDG: Where are you from?
Me: Canada.
SDG: Canada? I know somebody in Canada...*furrowing his brow in intense concentration* Are you from...Montreal?
Me: Yeah.
SDG: See, I knew it...Are you sure you're not from Russia...No...Do you have a boyfriend in Canada?
Me: Yes.
SDG: Oh, that's...that's too bad. Why are you in Paris?
Me: Vacation. *cursing under my breath and praying for the stupid bus to hurry the hell up*
SDG: It's a nice city, nice city...Maybe we could go out some time?
Me: No. I have a boyfriend.
SDG: Pssssh I know that.
Me: [silent]
SDG: Is he Russian too?
Me: Yes. [internal monologue: goddamn stupid frickin bus I'm gonna kill this guy I swear to God I WILL kick him in the balls if he gets any closer]

At which point the bus usually shows up and I attach myself to a group of people speaking English.

Ah, the joys of the Parisian nightlife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home